Thursday, May 16, 2013

Rob Hicks on baseball cards

Rob Hicks pitched five seasons in the Phillies and Brewers, going 24-24 with 23 saves and a 3.75 ERA. Now a math teacher and pitching coach at Volcano Vista High School in Albuquerque, New Mexico, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

- Do you have any stories about cards of yourself or of other players?  
The minor league baseball card thing started soon before I was playing.  It was pretty cool to get a packet of baseball cards of yourself!  We all signed our $5 "contract" during mini camp.  Some of the players balked at it, but were told in stern words to sign it by the staff.  Nowadays I don't even know if they do that $5 thing anymore.  Probably have to get agents and such involved...kind of sad to lose that little rite of passage into pro ball if it did.  Players always tried to have some fun with it.  Pitchers would have bats, RH's would put on LH gloves,. etc.  Deep down we all loved it....it was a chance for us to be remembered on a card forever!!!


- Do you have a favorite card of yourself or of another player?
The only story I have on one of my cards is the El Paso card.  I was a little "woozy" from a "show the new kids Juarez" trip (season had not started yet...first workout) and I had a dip in....other than that I was in "just happy to be here"  mode!
- Do you collect baseball cards?

I do not.........though I do wish I had the cards I had as a kid, they ended up being worth a fortune in the early 90's....I was the kid who used to memorize the stats on back, and could recite them at will.  Baseball cards are truly pretty cool as they give a ton of info (the old ones) and also are a snapshot into styles of the years!! 
Thanks! I don't have that card, but here is one from my collection.



1 comment: