Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Photographer Brad Mangin on baseball cards

Brad Mangin is a San Francisco-based freelance sports photographer (Brad Mangin Sports Photography) whose work regularly appears in Sports Illustrated. He was the photographer for the 2010 Giants official coffee table book, "Worth the Wait." One of his first photography jobs was working for Upper Deck in the early 1990s. He kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"I have not shot for trading cards in around 15 years.

My favorite set I worked on was the Upper Deck minor league set from 1992 I shot tons of California League stuff for that set in San Jose, Visalia, Stockton, Bellingham, and Calgary. It was a great set with great pictures of the best prospects. I shot guys like Garret Anderson, Eddie Perez, Shawn Estes, Mike Piazza, Eric Young, Derek Lowe, Karim Garcia, Marty Cordova, and many others.


I was born in 1965 and started collecting with my older sister in 1971 (Topps Supers). I still have all my cards. I used to collect and finally stopped over 10 years ago because there was just too much."

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment